The dress code for engagement photoshoots is something to pay attention to if you want photos that will still look classy in a few years time.
I received an email from a couple who's engagement photoshoot will take place later this month asking us "what should we wear?" So, that's the topic for today's blog. What to wear for your engagement photoshoot and more importantly what to AVOID! (from a photographer's point of view)
All of these tips are just our opinion for what looks better in photographs, at the end of the day it is your photoshoot and you should be happy with what you are wearing. this post is for those of you who need a bit of advice :)
1. Personally I think women look so much more beautiful and womanly in a dress than shorts/jeans/baggy pants. It doesn't have to be fancy, just a cute summer sundress or a beautiful long plain dress or even shirts and tops all look amazing! Lace is always a good option if you want to add some detail to your outfit. Pair your outfit with a few accesories and you are good to go :)
2. Guys, please don't wear flip flops for your engagement photoshoot! It has never looked good on anyone! Instead swap those for a more smart looking shoe that will make you look like the gentleman you are! Men look so handsome in button up shirts, branded T-Shirts with big logos really makes your engagement photographs look like you are modeling for that brand instead of doing a photoshoot with the love of your life. If you want to wear shorts for your engagement photoshoot try and get a pair that's more classy-smart looking like chinos. Avoid over-sized baggy shorts will a million and one pockets ;)
3. Clothes with patterns might look nice in person and some (very few) even photograph well. I would recommend avoiding these (unless you are so inlove with it that you have to have it) It is distracting and takes away from you guys being the focus of the photographs.
4. HAIR & MAKE-Up! Ladies, some of you never wear make-up and when it comes time to do the engagement photoshoot you feel like you need to just stick it all on there! Don't do it, rather get a make-up artist to do a light and natural look for your special photographs! Trust me it makes all the difference. Hair, if you have beautiful long hair don't hide it by pining it up! Loose long hair looks so romantic and timeless in photographs. Unless you are a ballerina ;)
5. Really think about what you want to look like in your photographs. Think what will look nice and timeless and stick to that. We always say "keep it simple but stylish". The photos will be more about you than about what you are wearing.
6. Lastly, just have fun with it! Be yourself! Take risks or just play it safe! All that matters at the end of the day is you guys looking and feel great in your photographs.
That is our thoughts on this topic, if you have any questions please feel free to email us :)
Lots of Love,